Geelong Culvert Replacement Completed by Global Rail Australia
Global Rail Australia Pty Ltd has completed the complex removal of an existing brick culvert and replaced it with precast box culverts sections, including new precast head walls and handrailing in Geelong, Victoria. Works were undertaken on behalf of client V/Line during a rail occupation.
Global Rail Australia’s multi-disciplinary teams provided an integrated method of construction to minimize the disruption to current operations. This involved its civils and track teams working in harmony in order to remove the track infrastructure, to create the necessary access and space, to crane into position the new precast base slabs, culvert and head wall units. Specifically, works included:
- Removal of the track and sleepers
- Demolition of the existing brick culvert
- Excavate to formation level
- Installation of base slabs
- Installation of box culverts
- Construction of head walls and handrails
- Backfilling as per design
- Reinstatement of the track infrastructure
The project was under the control of Global Rail Australia’s civil and track engineering and supervisory teams, with works commencing in March 2020 and successfully concluding two weeks later, to meet V/Line’s required occupation.