GRCL Secures Steel Sheet Piling Contract for BAM
Global Rail Construction Limited (GRCL), has secured a new railway civil engineering project at New Road, Welling on behalf of partner BAM. The project is located between St Johns and Crayford Creek on Network Rail’s South East Route rail infrastructure.
The core scope of GRCL’s works covers the supply and installation of 8m long steel sheet piles in order to construct a 200m long cess wall to stabilise the railway embankment. These works will be undertaken during a nine-day closure of the lines in February 2020. The full scope of works will be completed by June 2020.
Over the years, the embankment has shown signs of soil creep and localised slumping, resulted in tilted and misaligned troughing routes and ravelling of ballast from the cess shoulder onto the slope face. It is reported that the track is frequently tamped to maintain line and level. So GRCL’s scope also covers the reinstatement of the ballast shoulder and support to the cess, via the implementation of a lightweight cess support system.
Global Rail Construction are currently undertaking enabling works to prepare for their works prior the blockade. These works cover:
- Preparation of all related Risk Assessments, Works Package Plans, Task Briefing Sheets, Programmes and Methodology statements
- Supply, position and servicing all necessary, temporary fencing, office, welfare and ground protection for the compound on the wide payment/road
The Cess Wall Construction piling work will be commencing on 15th February 2020 and there are two follow up possessions with engineering trains to complete the Cess Walkway in May and June 2020. Works cover:
Cess Wall Construction – Blockade
- Supply and Install 8m long steel sheet piles to construct approx 200m of cess walling, 3m from the nearest running rail on the Downline between the two LOC Staging.
- Temporary relocation and protection of the existing S&T cables
- Backfilling the existing cess walkway
- Laying a new Concrete Cable Route
- Relocating S&T cables into new troughs.
- Fixing handrails
Global Rail Construction Limited’s civil and structural engineering capabilities take full project responsibility and offer a fully managed and integrated service for clients within the railway infrastructure.
We can provide civil and structural engineering solutions from initial project planning and design, to enabling works covering site surveys, hazard and environmental assessments, procurement, onsite construction and equipment installation, through to final commissioning.